Chioggia is one of the most important towns in the province of Venice. And ‘it is known for its port, for fishing, for salt, for vegetables, for cooking and for its streets, fields, buildings and canals very similar to those of Venice, which is connected by lines of private boats and ACTV. The main channel is the Canal Vena crossed by nine bridges. The most impressive is the Vigo Bridge that closed the channel close to the lagoon and the square which is a tall column topped by the Leone Marciano.
Legend has it that the origins of Chioggia was founded by Clodius, Trojan exile, which he chose as emblem a red lion rampant in memory of Troy. The name Clodia then changed over the centuries in Cluza, Clugia Chiozza and then, ultimately, for the current name Chioggia. In Roman times it was part of a larger land division that included the entire area of the lagoon of Venice. In the Middle Ages the city had its own municipal autonomy, and became known for the flourishing salt trade, in 1110 he also became the episcopal see. An important page in the history of the city took place during the “War of Chioggia”, evoked in the Palio Marciliana: in 1379 the city fell into the hands of Genoa, attracted by the source of wealth that represented the salt, before being recaptured by the intervention Venetian in 1380. Under the rule of Venice, Chioggia not only saw limited their freedom but also saw reduced the number of salt in addition to the imposition of heavy taxes on the production of salt. The economy thus had an inexorable decline that flourished with the development of fisheries. Chioggia was part of the Republic of Venice until 1797, when it fell to the troops of Napoleon Bonaparte. After the Treaty of Campo Formio, in 1798, the city was taken over by Austria, to which he remained until 1866, when Chioggia was annexed to the nascent Italian State. During World War II risked carpet bombing by allied aviation. Only thanks to the revolt of the citizens and the fascists surrendered April 27, 1945 the city was liberated by Allied forces.